Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Blogging Against Disablism Day - update

Thanks very much to everybody signing up to Blogging Against Disablism Day so far.

Yesterday the event got a mention on BBC Ouch thanks to Lady Bracknell and on Ragged Edge thanks to Mary over at Edge-Centric. Natasha from Audacity Magazine has also said she’ll give us a mention. Other sites linking to us include Breakthrough UK, Pam’s House Blend and H2CM. If anybody can think of anybody else who might be interested in increasing the exposure of this event, do chirp up.

Four points I should make clear, having received a few questions about these things:

1. Blogging Against Disablism Day is open to everybody, disabled and non-disabled. We already have a good number of non-disabled participating bloggers. Non-disabled people who wish to take part may have disabled family or friends, or they may work closely with disabled people. Then again, they may simply be interested in the principles of fairness and equality, and recognise eliminating disablism as part of that.

2. Blogging Against Disablism Day is obviously about blogging, but I think we can be fairly loose with our definition of this to include things like Do You Speak English? and podcasting as mentioned by Kerri, which may be far easier and more accessible for some of us. So long as it is something which is published on May 1st, and is against disablism.

3. Disablism and Ableism are exactly the same thing as far as I can work out – I have always heard it described as the former, but as Becky pointed out it is more often described as the latter in different parts of the world. I am sure there must be arguments for using one rather than the other, I don’t know.

4. Disablism effects people with all sorts of impairments; this is by no means a phenomenon restricted to those of us with physical conditions. My own condition involves a mixture of cognitive and physical effects, and I have experienced mental ill health. Varying symptoms provoke quite different prejudices and obstacles, but the same mechanism is involved. In many ways, people with mental ill health, conditions like Autism and learning difficulties face more prejudice than the wheelchair-using archetype of a disabled person.

Do shout if you have any other questions or if you notice any mistakes, or anything at all.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Update 21/ 04/ 06: Please read the One in Seven post over at the Perorations of Lady Bracknell

9 comments:

Lady Bracknell said...

Er, that'd be Blogging Against Disablism day, surely? Not for?

Yrs in a pedantic fashion,

Lady Bracknell

The Goldfish said...

AAaagh! Well spotted your ladyship. And I managed to do it twice! I have now corrected this, but apologies to anyone who saw this and was duly bewildered (wouldn't want to think Blogging For Disablism Day would be like...)

Brain working rather slowly today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me be an honorary blog for the day! I just thought i ought to check because blogging against disablism without a disability or a blog could be considered a bit strange! Due to the fact that at the weekend i had a choice between revising international accounting standards or editing my WAP site, the first draft of my page is taking shape and will def be finished by May. Oh i have to apologise because i cant use the logo. Im really sorry, its a great logo but unless i get access to a computer somehow, its a technical impossibility to put it on my site :-( Clare, aka doyouspeakenglish

Attila the Mom said...

I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks so much for putting it out there!

Sally said...

Dear Goldfish
Sorry to hear you are counting the wood chips, hope you are feeling more your 'old self' soon.
I am in awe of your hard work for 1st May.
Sally

bint alshamsa said...

Hey how in the dickens did I just hear about this? Well, thanks to a link in BrownFemiPower's comment box, I found it before it was all over with. I have been doing a lot of writing about my disabilities lately so I'm sure I can find a way to commemorate this new holiday.

bint alshamsa<----proud to be a disabled woman of color

Anonymous said...

Alright, I have something planned for the 1st May,. So count me in as well.

BEG
http://browneyedgirl65.livejournal.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Keep meaning to say - have you thought of contacting The Guardian - since they've mentioned you once?

Sage said...

I've got something for the 1st too.